Chez Reavie earned his first PGA TOUR win in 11 years at Travelers Championship. He started the day with a six shot lead but saw it reduce to one by the 16th hole as spectators and commentators were wondering if he would crumble under the pressure and after the long spell of not winning.
Reavie was superb all week starting the tournament with a 65 and then backing it up the next two days with a 66 and 63 to build the six shot lead.
In the final round he was crusing turning the 9 with a 5 shot lead with 9 to go but that is when Keegan Bradley caught fire. Bradley birdied 4 of the next six holes which cut the lead down to one and it looked like he had all the momentum but Bradley had a shocker on the 17th when he double bogeyed the hole which took him out of contention.
Bradley’s run unfazed Reavie as he stuck to his game plan and kept on making pars. He didn’t show any panic in his game and blocked out all the noise around him. In the end he won by 4 shots over Bradley and Zack Sucher but it was the birdie on the 17th which all but sealed the tournament.
“He’s tough as nails,” said Paul Casey, who was a senior at Arizona State when Reavie arrived as a freshman in 2000. “He doesn’t have the physical attributes that seem to be what you need to play nowadays (Reavie is 5-9, about 160 pounds), but he’s always nipping at your heels, like a Jack Russell (Terrier).”
With the win Reavie secured his tour card for another year and a cheque for $1.26 million USD. We also take a look into the winner’s bag.
- Driver: TaylorMade M2 2017 (9.5 degrees)
- Shaft: Aldila Rogue Silver 60TX
- Fairway Wood: TaylorMade M5 (15 and 19 degrees)
- Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130
- Irons: TaylorMade P-790 (4 iron), TaylorMade P-750 (5-PW)
- Shafts: KBS Tour C-Taper
- Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50, 54 and 58 degrees)
- Shafts: KBS Tour C-Taper (50 degree wedge), KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 (54 and 58 degrees)
- Putter: Odyssey Works No. 7 prototype
- Golf Ball: Titleist Pro V1